Thursday, January 12, 2012

Inside an Amish Herb Shop...Business Run the Amish Way

Something common among the Amish that’s misunderstood is their use of natural remedies. Tales abound that make them look uneducated or superstitious. I hope this post will help you see their back to nature approach to medicine  and another business run the Amish way. (Last post is about Granny's quilt shop).
Dan Byler has an herb shop in Smicksburg, PA, that draws customers from over an hour away. Why? Well, Dan is Amish and doesn't believe in charging more than what's fair. He also makes many of the herbal tinctures himself, keeping prices down. He sells popular lines of products too. I took a friend up to his shop and she pulled bottles off his shelves, hand on her hip in a huff. She held up a bottle and said, "My chiropractor charges 50 bucks for this!" Dan sells it for $20.00. So people are willing to pay the gas money, saying they save in the long run.
Dan is also very knowledgeable. He takes classes from English naturopaths. I love asking him a question just to see his keen mind at work. He goes into medical terms and anatomy as he leans over his counter, as animated as Doc from Back to the Future. I went up once to ask him about the pain shooting from my wrists. I suspected Carpal Tunnel Synrome, but he shook his head vigorously and ran over to the next room and pulled a mineral supplement off the counter. "You lack this," he said, putting the bottle in my face. "Take this and in two days your pain will be gone." Well, I did and the pain left.  My body obviously lacked this nutrient.
You see, the Amish believe God created the body to work properly if fed right. If God made our bodies, He expects us to take care of them and that includes proper nutrition. Organic foods are something they have naturally since many raise their own food and free range meat. Dan believes our foods are lacking nutrients and we need to get back to nature.
Dan's herbal tinctures

Dan makes a living in his tiny store. If several people are in it, it’s crowded. His excellent customer service makes you want to go back. (I pay half the normal retail price for my hyssop, a natural blood purifier, and if I return my little bottle, he’ll refill it for a discount.) Dan employs many of his grandchildren, teaching them all he knows. The Amish try to keep a business in the family, so you see three generations working side by side a lot. It's a good example of business run the Amish way.
                                         Every nook and cranny is filled with merchandise                       

11 comments:

  1. What a blessing to his family and the surrounding community. We need more places like that! I would love one around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg and Donna,
    The Amish now live in over 27 states. Amish America website with Erik Wesner shows Amish migration. Just put your state in and I bet there's a settlement near you. Most settlements have their herbalist, since it's so much a part of their culture. Here's Erik's site. http://www.amishamerica.com
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am familiar with the Chocolate Shop in Smicksburg for our bulk foods and would love to know where Dan Byler's Herb Shop is located.
    You have a delightful blog!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!
    Herbal Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, interesting post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be subscribing to your site. Keep up the good posts
    Rated Top Herbal Incense Potpourri - legalherbalspice.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!
    Welcome to Super Strong Incense - SuperStrongIncense.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.
    Herbal Incense

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly appreciate your post. It's was very useful and interesting. Keep up the good work! '

    Herbal Incense Online
    http://www.incenseandchemicals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Impressive and helpful blog. I appreciate your efforts and hard work. Keep on sharing
    Buy Herbal Incense Online

    ReplyDelete