Thursday, May 19, 2011

Simplicity Learned in the Ups and Downs of Life.

It’s been over a month since I’ve written anything on this blog, but am happy to report my son got married and my sister-in-law got her kidney transplant. A lot can happen in a month and simplicity had to really be a discipline for me. Cutting away anything that really wasn’t necessary and clearing my plate so I could help the people I love is really the Amish way of living. Relationships are more important than anything, period.
I also saw something that was heartwarming; many families, friends and church members coming together in community to serve one another. No wonder the Amish are the happiest people in the USA. When emotions are up with a wedding and down with a possible death, it’s nice to have people hold your hand and ask how you’re doing. I thought often of the famous line Clarence, the angel in It’s a Wonderful Life said. “No man is a failure who has friends.” It so true. I learned a lesson about what real success is in life; faith, family, friends!
A good read on Simplicity is Richard Foster’s Celebration of Simplicity. If I hadn’t been reading that book over the past month and stuck to the simple way of living my Amish friends adopt, I would have missed out on such blessings. Too much internal noise in life rob us of everyday joys.

Blessings to you!
Karen Anna Vogel

No comments:

Post a Comment