Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Four Amish Children Die in Flood: How the Amish Deal with Grief and Loss.

I was so sad to hear that four Amish children died in a flash flood in Kentucky. It’s hard to imagine the feelings of the parents.  My heart and prayers go out to the Wagler family.

How do Amish cope with grief and loss? My Amish friends tell me friendships get them through. Mourners are not alone. When someone dies, the Amish community makes sure the surviving family has visitors every Saturday or Sunday for the next year. One year! Meals are brought to the family every week for one year! They don’t downplay the feelings of grief. The mourners also wear black for a year, just like people used to do in the 1800’s. How times have changed.
I lost my mom and two cousins over the past two years. It seems like some people think there’s a drive-through grief. Aren’t you over it yet? Actually, Amish friends helped me see it’s something that needs talked about and cried over. Yes, it’s been 2 years since I lost my mom and one cousin and a year since I lost my closest cousin and dear friend, but I still ache. The Amish are always showing me the new normal as our society seems to rush through everything, even grief.
Blessings to you!
Karen Anna Vogel

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing all your interesting words, stories and experiences about and with the Amish.
    I've become a follower of this great blog!
    Blessings,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete